Universal Design for Learning: Teaching Excellence Institute
The Universal Design for Learning (UDL) track includes three areas of focus: 1) what is inclusive teaching and why is it important to consider these principles when teaching? 2) what are the principles of UDL and how can they be used in support of inclusive teaching? and 3) how can participants use what they learn in this track to influence and mentor other UTHSC instructors? This track is available through a grant from the Office of Equity and Diversity.
The Universal Design for Learning program is open to all UTHSC instructors.
The schedule and certificate requirements for this series are still being developed. Monthly meetings will begin September 17 and meet the third Thursday of every month through May. There will be reading and writing assignments between the monthly sessions.
The program will contain several components:
- A series of monthly face-to-face workshops on issues related to the social determinants of health. Topics will include SDoH’s impact on patients, pedagogical strategies used to effectively teach SDoH, and integration of SDoH into current curriculum/courses. Workshops will be led by UTHSC faculty and outside speakers.
- Access to print and online resources related to the above topics and other topics that arise.
- An online forum where members of the cohort can continue to meet and discuss thoughts and concerns about SDoH and integrating it into current courses along with opportunities to meet face to face as a group.
- Support for the cohort should any of the members wish to continue meeting after the initial program. The group would be self-led with support from the TLC as requested.
Certificate of Completion
Participants who satisfactorily complete the set of requirements listed below are eligible for a UTHSC Teaching Excellence Institute Universal Design for Learning certificate and a $500 stipend.
- Attend eight of the nine monthly workshops
- Complete monthly assignments
- Write and present a plan to integrate UDL into current course(s)
- Thursday, November 19, 2020 Show more dates
- Time (Central/Memphis):
- 12:00pm - 1:00pm
- Online (Zoom)