Monday Morning Mentor: How Do I Create Questions that Stimulate Engaging Conversations in Online Discussion Boards?
An interactive online discussion has the potential to enhance student engagement, increase learning, foster satisfaction, and humanize the online learning experience. But to gain the benefits available through an online discussion, it is essential that discussions start with an engaging, thought-provoking prompt. Without a thoughtful prompt, there is simply not a reason for students to meaningfully engage.
This 20-Minute Mentor overviews strategies for writing effective discussion questions that engage students in interactive dialogue and critical inquiry. Gain perspective on formulating discussion questions that capture attention, stimulate thinking, and produce a wide range of perspectives, applications, and experiences.
After viewing this Magna 20-Minute Mentor, participants will be able to:
- Create engaging discussion questions that stimulate ongoing dialogue
- Integrate multimedia discussion prompts
- Identify the role and purpose of the discussion forum within an online course
- The purpose and value of an online discussion
- Common challenges associated with online discussions
- How to write “discussable” questions that promote critical thinking and dialogue
- How to integrate multimedia discussion prompts
- Monday, February 8, 2021
- Time (Central/Memphis):
- All Day Event