Monday Morning Mentor: What Are 9 Practical Steps to Implement Mastery Learning?
Mastery learning is a curricular approach that focuses on students mastering concepts at their own pace before they move on to new concepts. Mastery learning has been around for decades, but a modern educator can implement mastery learning on a broad scale by using technology. It’s a practical way for any teacher in any subject to increase student learning—and mastery—of a subject.
This 20-Minute Mentor details what mastery learning is and why teachers should implement it today. Additionally, educators will gain an in-depth review of the benefits and challenges of assessing for mastery learning and receive practical ways to implement mastery learning principles and assessment in college classes.
After viewing this Magna 20-Minute Mentor, participants will be able to:
- Define nine key elements of mastery learning
- Understand mastery learning’s statistical effect on student achievement
- Analyze potential ways to leverage technology to implement mastery learning while grading
- Explore practical, smaller instructional changes to implement mastery-based learning today
- The definition of mastery learning
- Steps for implementing mastery learning
- Mastery learning’s statistical effect
- Leveraging technology to implement mastery assessment
- Practical steps for implementing mastery learning today
- Monday, March 8, 2021
- Time (Central/Memphis):
- All Day Event